01 June 2014

"Answer Me This" Linkup, Week 8!

OH MY GOSH, you guys. The formatting on this post just refuses to cooperate so it looks funky. I apologize. I have tried to fix it and I just can't. This is making me crazy. I CAN'T EVEN UN-CENTER THIS PARAGRAPH. WHAT IS HAPPENING.






Kendra at Catholic All Year is hosting a weekly linkup. She provides the questions, you provide the answers, and then you link up with everyone back on her page. It's a great way to get to know a little about your fellow bloggy travelers, as well as a chance to consider some things about yourself that you hadn't before. Join us! 


Kendra's answers, next week's questions and the linkup can be found here.

1. Do you have a smart phone?
I do! I love my iPhone, almost unreservedly -- the battery sometimes drains unexpectedly so I'm holding back from true love. I'm one of those people who thinks of or is asked something she doesn't know... and then has to know right NOW. I grew up as the family dictionary and encyclopedia (I kid you not, my youngest sister once asked me "How many rocks are there in Vermont?" and got seriously miffed that I couldn't tell her. I was in college and so she was about... six or seven?). The advent of the internet in my life -- answers at the other end of that horrible modem noise -- was a wonder and the smart phone was an absolute revelation. 

2. Which is your favorite meal of the day?
Like Kendra, I am a fan of breakfast, but we apparently do not like the same breakfast. I love eggs and potatoes. As a native Philadelphian, I should call them "dippy eggs," but nope: in my house, they were called eyeballs. I am over 30 years old and when I spend the night at my parents' and they ask what kind of eggs I want, I answer "Eyeballs, please!" 

Eyeballs, or dippy eggs, for the uninitiated, are sunny-side up eggs (although I prefer them over-easy), and they were called eyeballs because a) my dad is super weird and b) they look like googly-eyes on your plate. 


...Now I'm hungry.

I could go full-on weird and tell you that the highest breakfast praise in our home was that the eggs you were presented were "a picture of eyeball reflection," but no one needs to hear about that. 

3. Shower or bath?
I love a bath for relaxation but I have to follow it up with a shower, because I tend to feel like I've just been sitting in a soup of my own filth (I mean, I'm not a farmer or anything so I'm never really that filthy, but still). Which is why I don't take baths very often -- it's a dreadful waste of water to do both. I really do not enjoy a shower, which I get is weird. And it's all horrid when I'm pregnant: baths make me more nauseated than I already am and showers... You know that moment when you have to tilt your head all the way back to rinse the shampoo from the front of your head? Yeah. So normally that ain't no thang, obviously, but when I'm on the edge of a vom already the tightening of the skin on my throat is.... You know what, I can't talk about this anymore.

4. Think of a person you love. How many days have you been in love with that person? (Don't worry, this site will do the math for you. And, hey, now you can order this card!)
Michael and I had our first date on October 11, 2006 (we were married two years to the day later, because we're gross like that). I'm estimating that it took me two months to know it was love. So according to Kendra's handy site, that comes to something like 2,725 days. Wow.

5. What's the best church you've ever been inside?
I've never been to most of the fanciest European cathedrals, but I loved Westminster Cathedral, the Catholic counterpart of Westminster Abbey, in London. I went to a very, very early Mass there when I was a senior in high school and on a band trip to London. There had to be more than eight Catholics on that trip, but only eight of us got up to go to Sunday Mass -- high school students, amirite? -- and the place was cavernously empty-seeming with only about two hundred people at Mass. It is beautiful, but I don't have any pictures because we were there for Mass, not on a sightseeing tour, and so I hadn't thought to bring my camera.

6. Happy Feast of the Visitation! Has anyone ever come to help YOU?
When my daughter was born, my mom stayed for two or three days. I had no milk and my poor baby just cried and cried because she was so hungry. I was sore and tired and hormonal and not calm enough myself to calm her but my mom walked her and soothed her and I got a little bit of sleep. Everyone was telling me that if I supplemented with formula, I would never have enough breast milk and to just keep at it, but she was so hungry! And then when the jaundice began to set in the pediatrician changed his tune. I began to give her some formula and she pinked up but still -- your first baby is a tough proposition! 

You can't really see my momma back there, but there they are: my mom and my daughter.

When my mom left, I cried. For, like, hours. She was supposed to come back the next weekend -- a three-to-four hour drive is no small thing, but she was going to do it for me -- and then Hurricane Sandy intervened. In the end, her inability to come the second weekend was probably a blessing because I kind of got trial-by-fire motherhood training, even though I still had no milk. 

I hope this next one gets some milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment