17 May 2014

"Answer Me This" Linkup, Week 6.



Kendra at Catholic All Year is hosting a weekly linkup. She provides the questions, you provide the answers, and then you link up with everyone back on her page. It's a great way to get to know a little about your fellow bloggy travelers, as well as a chance to consider some things about yourself that you hadn't before. Join us! 


But! Kendra is in France with her family, the lucky ducky, and so this week's AMT is being hosted by Haley over at Carrots for Michaelmas.

Kendra's Haley's answers, next week's questions and the linkup can be found here.

1. What's the scariest thing that's ever been in your yard?
Well, we live in an apartment and don't have a yard, and in fact I've never had a yard in my adult life (sad), so I'm going to go back to my childhood: when I was twelve or so, we were hanging out in the back yard and all of a sudden my sister started screaming that I had a daddy long-legs on my face. I slapped myself across the face hard enough that that sucker landed four yards down. 

Goll-Y that story still makes me shudder. 


2. Beards. Thumbs up or thumbs down?
Generally pretty thumbs down -- my imaginary prince has a military high-and-tight haircut and is clean-shaven -- but my real-life prince, my husband, does have a goatee most of the time. It works on him aesthetically so I deal with the fact that it's scratchy and occasionally poke-y when he kisses me. It's just an issue of length, I think.


3. If stuff breaks, can you fix it?
I'm pretty good with my hands. I build furniture like a champ, and I used to help build sets when I was in plays in high school, so I am proficient with power tools, etc. But I'm not very good at things involving electricity. I'm an engineer, but not that kind.


4. What was your first car?
I drove my dad's hand-me-down Lincoln Town Car for about two years, during my senior year of college and my first year living in Virginia. My friends all called it the Land Yacht or The Good Ship Colleen. It served me pretty well even though it only got like twelve miles to the gallon. (It was a little hard on my wallet.) It eventually died -- actually it tried to murder me when the tie rod broke and I lost my steering (thank God in Heaven that I was parking when it snapped and not on the Capital Beltway, which I had been about half an hour before!) -- and I had to buy my first car.


5. How often do you eat out?
Too often. Entirely too often. If I put a number on it, I'm just going to feel bad. In my defense, I'm pregnant and very, very ill. Cooking is just not possible right now.


6. Why is your hair like that?
Oh. Oh jeez. I know you asked this question without being able to see me, Kendra (via Haley), but I feel like you must have been able to see the disaster on my head. My feelings are, irrationally, just a teeny bit hurt. 

Okay so I'm too far out from a hair coloring so I'm pretty shot through with gray -- because I am the daughter of and sister to hair dressers, I will not be letting my hair go gray (not intentionally, anyway; neglect is another story). Added to that is the fact that I've decided to give up the pipe dream of ever having nice bangs, so I'm trying to grow them out and they are at THE most awkward length. Basically it's just a graying mop. It. Is. Scary. 

The worst part is that I look good in bangs, just not my bangs. I have very fine hair, but a ton of it -- basically, a new hairdresser always looks at me askance when I say "I have a ton of hair," because it really does not look or feel like it, but then as soon as they start to blow-dry me, they're like, "Holy moly sister, you have A LOT OF HAIR." So it's the worst of all worlds: it never looks full because it's so fine but it doesn't style well because it's so heavy. And bangs... They just don't sweep to the side because of the weight, and a full bang looks great on me except that my bangs grow at a rate of about an inch an hour, so unless I want to a) hack at them myself, which, NO or b) go broke paying for bang trims, I'm just giving up and going bangs-less. 

End essay about my hair. But it's a sore spot right now.

4 comments:

  1. Your bangs look really nice in your side picture. I think everyone is just a bit sensitive about their hair. I know I am...but rationrally I try to realize that it probably doesn't look as bad as I think it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gracious. In that picture my head was tilted juuuust right. The second I moved they would have flopped down into my eye. Because that is a thick thatch of baby-fine bang ridiculousness. :)

      Thanks, though!

      Delete
  2. I am laughing that you slapped yourself to get rid of the daddy long legs. That is hilarious. And I like your bangs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struck the perfect glancing blow that sheared the nasty little creature off my face but didn't leave a handprint. It would surely have left a handprint-shaped weal if I had hit myself full-on, because I really mean it -- terror gave me supernatural strength.

      GROSS.

      Delete